Saturday, October 3, 2009

My First Battle Wound



So after 5 years of dog training, I actually got bitten--courtesy of Snowy, the fearful aggressive Australian Shepherd. I have been nipped at before, but never had a dog break the skin. Luckily, it wasn't that bad and I was able to remain calm, correct her, and then continue to take her for a walk. The important thing is not to freak out and become fearful because then you're in no position to help rehabilitate the dog so she can obtain a more balanced state of mind. Although I did not love getting bitten, I love the work that I do and every experience teaches me something new. What did I learn from this? 1. Don't wear shorts while working with big, fearful aggressive dogs. And 2. Charge the client more if their dog bites me. :)

No comments: