Monday, September 27, 2010

One of Those Days

Deep breath, sigh. I did a lot of that today. Just breathed through all of the stressful, frustrating situations. Here are a few of the more entertaining ones:
Situation: Morning Bath Time
So, I've just finished giving Naiya a bath and I'm getting her dressed in the girls' room while Melia is supposed to be starting her bath. Naiya was not too happy about having to get out of the bathtub in the first place, but I leave her to play while I go help Melia with her bath. As I enter the bathroom, Melia is sitting on the edge of the tub and says, "Mommy, I got a little pee pee in the bath tub." What??! Why??! How long have you been potty trained now and you decide to pee in the bathtub??? All of these things are running through my head as I am quickly trying to get her legs and feet and all the toys and poof balls out of the pee pee water. Meanwhile, Naiya has decided that she is not done with her turn for the bathtub and hurls herself head first, fully dressed into the bathtub. I use my cat like reflexes to catch her mid-flight and manage to pin her down with my forearm (because my hands are still full of toys) so that she is left hanging over the side of the tub upside down with her face about an inch from the water. Close, but no cigar, Naiya! Unfortunately, this sends her into a screaming fit while I'm trying to get Melia to take the toys from my hands so I can finish foiling Naiya's plan. After much crying from Naiya, much explaining from Melia as to why she would pee in the tub, and much deep breathing from me in the midst of the chaos, I managed to get two girls clean and ready for the day.
Situation: Trip to the Mall
I love using a specific brand of lip stuff because it is the only thing I've found that keeps my lips from getting dried out. Problem: They don't sell it anywhere near Orem, UT. I don't want to order it on line because they charge a crazy amount for shipping. So I have the bright idea that I can drive to Salt Lake to the mall to a salon called Apothica to buy it and save myself the shipping cost. Here's a run down of how it went: Naiya cries for the majority of the 40 minute drive, we get lost off the freeway. I battle an endless number of one way streets seeming so close, but never actually making it where we need to be. Can't find parking. End up parking waaaaay at the other end of the mall in a parking lot you have to pay for. (So much for saving the shipping cost.) Make the long walk back to the end of this outdoor mall, Naiya in the stroller and Melia walk/jogging the whole way to keep up with us--did I mention that we only had an hour until nap time and a 40 minute drive back? Melia was a trooper on the way there. Her little cheeks were all red by the time we got close to the store. Finally, we see it! Apothica! We enter and ask for Suki lip butter. Worker: "Sorry, but it's out of stock right now." Really? Really. "We can order it and have it shipped to you with no shipping cost." Hey, now we're talking. All is not lost. Finish up there. Melia wants to ride the escalator. Up the escalator with baby in one hand and stroller in other. Naiya walking at the pace of a slow turtle. Melia complaining that the only snack I brought is raisins. Melia pushing stroller and crashing into Naiya. Time ticking away. Forget this, Naiya goes back in stroller. Mommy pushes and Melia takes up jogging again. Did I mention it was hot? Make it back to car, kids loaded in car seats, stroller loaded in trunk. Look at the time. 2:00. Naptime. Wonderful. Pull up to pay. There under an hour. It's free! Yay! 40 minute drive home. No crying this time. Naiya awake the whole time. Home. Unload kids. Put Naiya down for nap. Put Melia in room for quiet time. Mommy collapses in bed for much needed mommy nap time.

There were more "moments" today, but we'll let those remain unwritten. :)

2 comments:

Piper said...

Oh, Laura- I have had many days of "moments" lately. Matt has been out of town and I can TOTALLY understand all those scenarios. Hope those moments get fewer for you!

Palmyra said...

hee hee, before I read your last sentence i was thinking, "dang, and that all happened before nap time, I wonder how the rest of the day went!" I'm hoping you are having a better day today. Just think,when they are teenagers, you are gonna think times like these were super easy! lol

If that didn't help... for what is worth, I think you are an excellent Mother and you are one of the few I wish to emulate. ♥ ya!