Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My Playlist

So I just finished having a dance session with Melia and Naiya here in our living room and I thought I'd take a minute to explain the inspiration behind the latest song picks for my blog playlist. Music has always been a love of mine and a huge part of my life. You name a song and I can probably tell you a memory I have associated with it. I've always thought it would be cool if my life could have a soundtrack--you know, like whatever is happening, there should be music playing in the background to go along with the situation. But, alas, that only happens on TV and the movies. Anyway, my play list...
1st, there's Magalenha by Sergio Mendez--I love this song! It just makes me want to dance. Back when I was going to school at Cal State Long Beach, I took a class on world music that totally opened me up to music from all countries. My teacher was awesome and had been to practically every country to study all kinds of music and instruments with the locals. Plus, I have had friends from all different cultures throughout my life who have introduced me to new kinds of music and broadened my music base.
2nd--"If It Kills Me" I really dig Jason Mraz songs--especially the ones that are not necessarily the radio edit. I like the more acoustic ones where he improvises more. He's totally talented at just going off in an original way every time he sings. I heard that's actually the way he writes his songs. This particular song reminds me of an amazing routine performed on "So You Think You Can Dance".
3rd "I'm Free" by the Soup Dragons. Some songs you like just for the way they sound and some songs you like for the lyrics as well. This is one of those songs where I like the message. It reminds me of my best friend from high school.
4th and last is "You Can't Stop the Beat" from the musical "Hairspray". The latest movie version of "Hairspray" with John Travolta was one of those feel good movies that just made me smile from beginning to end. This song, to me, is like joy rising. It's just so much fun and keeps getting more and more joyful peaking at the end. One of my favorite things to do to this song is to dance with wild abandon around the house with Melia, Naiya and Bo (yes, I said Bo). :)
So there you go. A little look into part of my brain.

1 comment:

Palmyra said...

The other night me and Caleb rented "fame" a movie about a bunch of talented high school kids. We always remember you guys whenever we watch anything musical. Your love for the arts and music is very contagious, not to mention extremely entertaining!